Sunday, December 4, 2011

Progress

I pushed though last week and got some things done. Things like shoveling out most of the junk in the nursery.  Not all of it, but most of it. I even got Kaycie's old clothes that were still in the closet packed up and taken to storage, so I was able to hang up and inventory what I have for the little guy and determine where we have gaps (i.e. we need pajama gowns/footies but have 5 coats and enough short sleeve onsies to wear three a day).  I finally set up a baby registry at Babies R Us, online of course. Because I'm scared to even think about driving out to Dogwood in December, although I really really need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby/Michaels and BRU. I also set up a wish list on Amazon with some decor ideas that I may or may not actual use but wanted to keep in mind and possibly order if I can't find stuff I like locally. I decided to go easy with a jungle animal theme - monkeys and giraffes and elephants and lions. I should point out that neither of these lists are for soliciting gifts, as we aren't planning on showers and stuff this time, it's just so I remember what we need. And because BRU gives us a discount on unpurchased registry items after the little guy arrives. Useful. The truth is, we don't need a lot, but it'd be nice to have some things that aren't pink. Thankfully I picked out a whole lot of gender neutral stuff the first time around so I'm pretty well set on big stuff. Anything else I need can be picked up at Walmart on the way home from the hospital if it comes to that!

Still left to do - picking up the new chest of drawers on Wednesday so I can start putting things away. Ordering a couple of decor items tomorrow so I can get started and see where it goes. Still have to clean out a spot in our bedroom for the pack and play so he'll have a spot to sleep the first few weeks. And of course pulling the bassinet attachment for the pack and play out of storage, along with a pile of other baby gear currently living there, and putting it all together. Getting ready for Christmas. I'm pretty much done shopping but have to sort and wrap and finish up a little shopping that other people have asked me to take care of (and by "other people" I almost always mean my mom). Shipping a couple of gifts to Greg's sister and nephew. Then we decided this weekend that we'd have my family's official Christmas get together at my house this year for the first time ever, since I'm done with the traveling until after the new arrival and it'll just be easier to meet up here. Which means some cleaning and decorating needs to be in my future. Finally, a small group of awesome friends are throwing a little lunch for me on Friday and I had hoped to take a few little home made happies to share with them, but right now that may or may not happen. I just don't know how much I'll get done this week. I've got some of it started but only one thing actually finished. And I don't know if I can be trusted to make fudge and not eat it.

If you haven't noticed, I'm starting to get a little panicked about getting stuff together. For some reason I've got it in my head that he's coming a little early. Not a lot early, but I'm thinking right after Christmas, maybe the first week or so of January.  Ironically, I said the same thing about Kaycie and we all know how that turned out. Greg says it's because a woman in Big Lots a couple of weeks ago took one look at me and informed me he'd be early because I'm huge and carrying so low. I think it's mostly wishful thinking because I've felt so bad during this entire pregnancy that I'm just ready to be done.

The good news is that I know I'll get done what needs to be done and he'll arrive when he's ready or when Dr. T makes him. Hoping we'll get a clue after our sonogram on Wednesday. In the meantime, I'm taking a lot of deep breaths...

2 comments:

Allison said...

You're doin' great. I'll be out for Christmas break and even after I start back January 11, I'll be done by noon on MWF so if you ever need me to come give you a Kaycie break or a MicroTot break or both - I will be more than willing to head over that way and entertain them so you can rest or get something done or whatever.

Susan said...

Thanks girl. I'll keep that in mind. My mom is supposed to come at some point while Kaycie is out of school and Greg will be off a few days at Christmas, so hopefully we'll be able to hang in. But I'm always willing to have company!