Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mash Up - Of All The Things I've Lost Edition

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

This morning I had a plan. Take Kaycie to school, come home to wash the pup, then put myself in the shower before running a handful of errands across town and having lunch with my hubby.  Instead, this morning I took Kaycie to school, came home and put on a load of laundry, sat on the couch sucked into Pinterest for 45 minutes, got in the shower nearly an hour later than planned, then looked at the dog and though, "Dangit."

I forgot bread at the grocery store. Bread. Yes. One of the staples that everybody buys every time they go. I forgot this two days ago, and just got around to realizing it this morning. I then forgot to get it while I was in Walmart on one of my errands. So instead of going back to the store with Kaycie for one loaf of bread, I broke out the bread machine. It really seemed easier, and took less time than going anywhere with Kaycie this afternoon. Except as soon as I pressed the start button I couldn't remember if I'd used warm water to kick start the yeast. I still don't know if I did, I'm waiting for it to finish cooking and see how it turns out.  (Update: Turned out perfectly. Whew.)

Speaking of bread, the reason I desperately needed bread was because yesterday I made apple butter in my slow cooker as part of my attempt to make gifts for a semi-homemade Christmas. (Along with vanilla extract. And a couple of other things I have in mind if I can make them work.) The problem is I've never had authentic apple butter. I don't know what it's supposed to taste like! Luckily, my in-laws are apple butter experts. I'm planning to take them a jar and have them taste it to see if it's close to right. If not, I have a dozen other recipes I can try. Then I have to figure out how to actually can them. There's a reason I'm starting this early... Anyway, once I get it finalized I'll post the recipe (mostly for myself, so I don't lose it!)


A series of texts with my husband this afternoon (paraphrased):
Me: Why is Kaycie outside with my swiffer? And why do I ask these questions?
Me: And why is the back door rug in the hallway?
Me: There are two piles of grass in the dining room! I was only in the potty 45 seconds!
Greg: 44 seconds too long...



1 comment: