Monday, April 5, 2010

Kitchen Week

It's Kitchen Week here at the Hall home.

What's kitchen week? It's what most people would consider a kitchen day, but as I have an almost 5 month old baby girl, I'm giving myself a more realistic time frame...

A couple of months ago we revised our weekly grocery budget so I could shop less often and stock up on sale items when I did. After several weeks I now have a stash of food and I need to do something with it. I found the meat I like to use for steak bites on sale twice, so I need to cut them into bites and freeze them in batches in marinade. I also stocked up enough ground beef to make several batches of homemade sloppy joes, tacos and spaghetti sauce for the freezer. Kroger must have miscalculated the need for pork chops last week because the Reduced for Quick Sale bin was overflowing with them. I bought a couple of packs to put in the freezer, which means I can also whip up a big batch of my homemade shake and bake coating. I also want to try another seasoning glaze on some chops, so maybe I'll go ahead and work on that, too. Plus, I want to make up a batch of breakfast burritos for Greg to take to work. I've made them a few at a time, but I've heard that they freeze well and I want to give it a try. I also have a couple of bread machine recipes I want to try, since I scored a machine for $10 at the Gateway Thrift Store store a couple of weeks ago.

In the meantime, Kaycie has started her journey into vegetables, so I've loaded up on new things to introduce to her. So far she's been eating carrots (which she loves) and acorn squash. I already have butternut squash and sweet potatoes prepped as well, but I bought more fresh organic carrots, zucchini, and snap beans, as well as frozen green and sweet peas (which I couldn't find fresh). That's a lot of steaming and baking to do!

Yes, I'm making Kaycie's baby food. If you want to make fun of me for that you might want to hold off a little while, as I'm thinking I'm going to be doing a post on that topic a little later.

And finally, if you made it this far into this post you deserve a little something special. For all of you who hate the yellow dust of Spring and are mired in the misery of pollen, here's a little something to help you remember why Spring doesn't totally suck:




4 comments:

Allison said...

Oh. Girly springy clothes and hats DO make it not suck! Thanks!!! She's beautiful and I'd LOVE to hear about the homemade baby food!

GrammarGirl said...

I'm totally impressed that you're making her baby food. You will save tons of money and will not produce all the waste of tiny glass and plastic containers. Her nose should be turning orange any day now. Your kitchen plan sounds like a great one. I try to do that every so often, but my good intentions are usually as far as I get. Sigh. Kaycie is gorgeous!

tank said...

So how do you make the porkchop shake and bake coating?

That girl is gorgeous!!!

Susan said...

Tank - that one's easy. Breadcrumbs (I use the Japanese panko bread crumbs, they're crispier than regular) with Italian seasoning and Parmesan shaker cheese. That and ziplock bag are all it takes!