Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Getting Better

I'm starting to feel reasonably human. Most days. I'm eating real food, in decent proportions, most days. I'm not sleeping as much during the day. I'm hoping this is a sign of continuing improvement.

Tonight I did something I haven't been able to accomplish in nearly three months. I made a real dinner. We've been eating out every night because I not only lacked the energy and motivation to cook, but the sight and smell of raw meat was not pleasant. At all. I tried a few times, but couldn't get much past opening the package before I decided I'd rather go pick something up. The things I have tried to cook, I tend to screw up. Pregnancy has destroyed my ability to cook. I have burned prepared frozen chicken that requires nothing more than to take it out of the package, onto a cookie sheet, and put in the oven for 15 minutes. Think I'm exaggerating? Ask Greg. I've burned everything I've tried to cook since the day I got pregnant.

But today I felt pretty good. I had to run to Walmart for a couple of emergency items and decided to find something to cook. My plan was something simple to prepare, with minimal meat handling, and preferably something that wouldn't turn my kitchen in an inferno from my gas oven. Turns out, they had steaks on sale...

So yes, I threw steaks on the grill, along with some corn and pineapples. If you've never had grilled pineapple, you're missing out. You're supposed to use fresh pineapple cut into spears, and I have made it that way before, but when it comes right down to it I just buy rings in the can. Works just as well and I don't have to skewer them. Or peel the pineapple. I sliced a finger open doing that once. Anyway, basted in a simple syrup (1/2 cup lemon juice, 1 cup brown sugar, dash of vanilla, and a little salt, cooked until the sugar dissolves) is quite possibly the most tasty thing I've ever put on the grill. I could have eaten an entire pineapple and skipped the steaks. They were that good.

That will likely be the only meal I actually prepare this week. But it's a start. And I didn't fully burn the steaks, which is an improvement. There may be hope for me yet.

5 comments:

The Davidson's: Lynn, Chris, Park, and Dalt said...

So glad you are feeling better. I hope it continues for you. When is your next dr appt? You know...pink or blue?? :) Can't wait! So excited!! Mmmmm...grilled pineapple! Yum!! Thanx for the recipe! :)

Allison said...

That sounds VERY tasty! I'm so glad you are feeling better now.

black betty said...

so glad to hear you are feeling better. :)

black betty said...

hoping you have a great weekend!!! :)

From the Doghouse said...

I take it steak tartar is off the menu for right now?