Wednesday, December 10, 2008

More on Squash

It's not just me. Remember when I got all excited about finding a chayote squash at Kroger? Well, today one of the food blogs I read had a post about... yep, chayote squash. Seems it's not well known to those outside of the Latino community (which a commenter had mentioned on my original post) but are quite versatile.

And for the record, I did make a point to visit the Dogwood Kroger to get a chayote a couple of weeks ago when I couldn't find them in Clinton, but last week the little green guy was back at my store. I'm pretty excited. Over a squash. Perhaps I need to get out more. I'm also psyched because my great wonton honey-vanilla sauce copycat experiment, which I don't think I've mentioned yet, has seen great progress of late. More on that later...

2 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

OK, when will we get to try these delicacies?

The Topiary Cow said...

Those squash are good, also the jicama, which is interesting shredded into a salad.

Just be careful though because when K has them, a lot of times they sit there too long and are mouldy and don't taste good, because not a lot of people buy them.

Now you're making Cow miss cactus candy, which is from the same part of the world, and is yummy, despite what people think, in a very strange and fibrous way.

Moo!