Friday, December 19, 2008

I Laughed, I Cried...

A couple of days ago the book I'd been anxiously awaiting from PaperBack Swap arrived in my mailbox. Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan. 'Cause, you know, I have what some in my household believes to be the world's worst dog, although I disagree with that someone and consider him to be a good pup. Anyway, I pretty much read through it in two days, finishing it at midinight last night.

I'm just going to say that I haven't laughed that hard a book in a really, really long time. It's because I'm a pup person, and because I find the stories fully believable. More than once I informed Greg that Casper had to have some lab in him. The behaviors were too similar. Marley is a hoot of a dog.

The best part about it was that it wasn't so much just about a dog. It was about the relationship that grows between a dog and it's pet people, and how pets become family. It was an awesome book. But I will admit that I did cry at the end.

Ok, I didn't so much cry as bawl. Like a baby. Like somebody in my own family had died. Like, enough that Greg got worried for a minute. I couldn't talk. I couldn't breathe. All I could get out was, "It's a horrible book! Horrible!" Greg was like, "Um... you were cackling over it for two days, could't wait to finish it, and now it's horrible?" Yeah, he figured it out and just left me alone to finish it. Smart boy.

But no, really, it's an awesome book. I'd read it again, but I'd probably stop before the end and just go with the idea that it never ends. I'd like that best. And for the record, I won't be seeing the movie. Uh uh, no way. I'm sure it'll be funny, but I've read the book. It's too late now.

3 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

I'll have to check it out.

CluckyRN said...

Love love love that book! Like you, I laughed my tail off!

Then at the end, Tim just brought me a roll of TP for the snotfest.

Have you see the previews where made it out the car window and is running beside the car? Aww, c'mon. Go with ME if you have to, but we MUST see this movie!

Susan said...

That scene is precisely why Casper never gets the window cracked more than necessary to stick the very tip of his nose out! He'd smell something and be GONE.

I just don't know if I can do the movie. I'm afraid they're going to hack it up. There's so much of it that was funny because of the descriptions and the way Grogan was able to explain what Marley was thinking. And there's just NO WAY Owen Wilson and that girl from Friends can do it justice and not try to steal the show from the pup. And let's face it, it's all about the pup.

But for you, Clucky, I might just try. I think Jen wants to see it too.