Thursday, September 4, 2008

Magic

How is it that I can go to a mall, try on every item of clothing in every store and find nothing that fits, but my mother-in-law, while on a trip an entire state away from me, can walk into a store and buy me a huge bag of clothes, in different sizes because they just "looked big/small," and have every single item fit? Shirts, sweathers, pants, a skirt...

It's something I call "Mom-Magic." Much like how my mom can walk into any store and have exactly what she's looking for on sale, every time. I haven't discovered my magic trait yet, I think it doesn't materialize until you actually become a mom. I'm pretty sure I won't have the ability to pick out clothes like that, considering that I can't hardly buy clothes for myself as it is. I may develop the "sale" magic, but I'm more likely to just not buy something if it's not on sale than plan to buy something and find a surprise sale. If I could pick my own magic ability, it would be to come home every day and find my house magically cleaned. Somehow I don't think I'll get that one, either.

As a side note, we had been keeping an eye out for our new washer and dryer to go on sale at Best Buy because they have a policy where if it goes on sale within 30 days they'll refund the difference in price. A few weeks ago we did indeed find them on sale in the Best Buy ad. The sale price was $50 more than the regular price we'd paid.

8 comments:

Supermom said...

every freaking thing is going up in cost.

#@$@^!&

mayberry said...

I wouldn't bank on getting any "Mom magic". I am a mom and have discovered no new magical abilities since giving birth, especially regarding finding items on sale or randomly finding things that fit. I think some people are just better at this than others. My SIL is QUEEN of the bargains. She can get clothes for her 3 girls for what it would cost to clothe 1. She amazes me.

Webmaster said...

Find one store where the clothing is cut to fit your body type, and only shop there. You may scoff at that, but honey, it saves you a lot of grief. Especially when you discover that store's clearance rack. :)

CluckyRN said...

My ex MIL once told me...
"The uterus is a homing device." (Whatever that means...)

Good luck-and I am pretty handy with the sale rack m'self!

~:>

From the Doghouse said...

I think it's the same way with moms and bathrooms.

Nicole Bradshaw said...

I don't think I've developed ANY magic powers since becoming a mom.

I don't know, is the ability to consume vast amounts of goldfish crackers considered a magic power? No? How about the power to function on 5 hours of sleep or less? Anybody?

Sandi said...

Clucky, I'll tell you exactly what that means. After you become a mother, you're supposed to be the Center of Knowledge For All Things Lost. If someone loses their shoe, they holler, "Mama, where's my shoe?" Like you're automatically supposed to know. Your hubby will do this too. "Honey, where's the TV remote?" Please. He had it last. Doesn't matter how many times you tell them they're responsible for their own things, they'll run to you FIRST, every time.

Susan said...

I have a similar problem now, but it's because Greg has this idea that if he can't see it out in the open, it doesn't exist. If I put cereal or snacks in a cabinet, they've vanished from existance. Not just lost, but are no longer available in our house. Gone forever.

I really think that most moms have magic, but don't always know it. My mom thinks I'm crazy when I talk about hers, but clearly it's there. Perhaps it's a secret power they aren't aware of. I don't know.