Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Baby Names

One of the longest running jokes between my dear, sweet husband and I involves baby names. During the very first road trip we ever took together, after we were engaged, we were driving to Atlanta when we crossed the Tallapoosa River. It did not take long to decide that if we ever had a daughter we should name her Tallapoosa. We could call her Tally. We're easily amused enough that it totally stuck, to the point that we've all but convinced several family members that we would indeed name a child that. We've been accumulating baby names ever since. It's gotten ridiculous enough that the lady that works right outside my office door has informed me that we are not to ever name a child without her approval.

With that in mind, and in honor of the news that Figment is going to be a girlie (woohoo!) I've put together a list of some of my favorites to help Jen answer the thousand questions she gets every day about what names they like.

Chick Fila (properly pronounce fee-la, not fe-lay)

Big Lots (just asking for trouble in middle school)

Pickle (perfect if she married a man whose last name was Pickle or Pickler. You could also make this a middle name, with the first name of Ina {in a}.)

Casper (for Jen this would be Wrigley. Cuts down on trying to remember who you're yelling at.)

Sweet Tea

Rolloverira (stole that one from my friend Nicole, who suffered through pregnancy at the where I worked. The Chief took suggestions in a hat and drew names for her baby. Rolloverira won. Yes, that's Rollover IRA.)

And of course the best and most obvious choice:
Susan

We had the most fun picking out names for multiples (back when we were SURE she'd have quadruplets and split them with us):

Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo, Pickle, Tomato, Lettuce, Patty, and Bun

Tallapoosa and Talledega

Luke and Leah (Greg's choice, I totally vetoed.)

Opera, City, Town, Residence and Carnegie (these really only work well for our family)

Really, we have dozens of them.

4 comments:

mayberry said...

You and Greg belong in Hollywood. Or as part of my ex-in-laws. They name their kids some strange stuff.

If I told you, you wouldn't believe me.

From the Doghouse said...

I wanted to name my child Booger. That way, when people asked me where I got that name, I could say I picked it myself.

clstigger said...

Doghouse that is horrible! This is why Susan is not allowed to name my child!

Susan said...

Uhhh, I've already named your child! Susan Figment. It's perfect!