Thursday, August 7, 2008

It Finally Happened

I've lost my mind. Completely.

I actually had a serious conversation with my husband today regarding getting another pup. I've said for years that Casper was enough dog for two families, but after lying awake last night resisting the urge to offer him up free to anybody who would take him, I started to think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get him a pet to keep him entertained. I mentioned it in passing today as a joke, and the idea grew into actual puppy shopping on the CARA website today. We've both lost our minds.

The fact is, in addition to just wanting to sleep through the night for a change, I really worry about what will happen if we ever do have a baby. Casper does not like to share my attention. At all. As one friend I was talking to a few minutes ago put it, "He'd eat the baby." I'm wondering if getting Casper a pet of his own to focus on would help that. I thought about just getting him fish, but somehow I don't think it would be very effective. I also thought about getting him a cat, but let's face it, that would be for our own amusement. He's terrified of cats. Or perhaps a sugar glider. Seriously. They have some listed on petfinder.com.

Anyway, we will be doing much discussing and research before actually getting another pup. Greg wants a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel so bad he can't hardly stand it, but after finding two people at work who own them there is now some debate as to whether or not they'd be a good fit. And I don't want to do anything now anyway if we're planning on a long vacation in the next month or so. Gives us plenty of time to talk to different people and contemplate options. And get a pyschiatric evalutation.

8 comments:

Webmaster said...

Aw ... Casper needs a friend. :)

Supermom said...

oh my gosh.........a cavalier king charles is our favorite breed...

can I babysit it????

mayberry said...

Sandi should give you Efron for a test run. =)

Heh.

Susan said...

I actually mentioned that we should consider taking Efron, then snickered evilly.

I've gotten mixed reviews about the King Charles spaniels and we can't decide if it would be a good fit or not. We have decided that we can't pay $500+ for one, so it's probably irrelevant. I've emailed Casper's teacher to get her opinion on the entire subject. I hope she can offer us some good advice. She was by far the best thing we ever did for Casper when he was a pup!

Webmaster said...

I wouldn't give this cat to my worst enemy! Poor Casper would never forgive you, if he survived at all.

Roz offered to try to train him, but she's got kids, so no way. Evil cat. Evil cat.

From the Doghouse said...

A cat. Definitely a cat. And Efron sounds like the perfect one.

I can't wait for the videos!

The Topiary Cow said...

Sometimes cats do well with dogs because the Dog rules the house and the cat respects it.

Cow's cats like the dog, but throw a fit if there is another cat around.

Cow commends you on looking for a pet at CARA. With so many homeless beings Cow is glad you are offering one a home instead of enriching the heartless breeders-for-profit.

Moo!

Susan said...

Casper, while very dominate and aggressive with other dogs, is terrified of cats. It's quite entertaining when we visit my parents or cat-sit my inlaws' 22 year old cat.

Neither Greg nor I have ever actually paid for a pup. His family has always been "chosen" by animals that show up at their house. My family usually end us either chosen or with the last of a litter somebody is desperate to get rid of!