Wednesday, August 27, 2008

And Speaking of Hurricanes

While I'm thinking about it, who's in charge of naming these storms? I saw a list of the names picked out for storms for the next five years or so and I have to say it's pretty funny.

Next year have Fred, Larry, and Sam. In 2010 we can look forward to Fiona. That strikes fear in my heart. Followed by Hermine and Igor. Yes, Igor. Now that one I'd be keeping an eye on. Some of my upcoming favorites for this year:

Ike (we like?)
Marco (Polo?)
Nana (huh?)
Paloma (is that a name?)
And of course, if we make it that far, Sally.

Nope, no Susan in sight. We can have Sam, Shary, Sean, Sandy, and Sebastien, but not a Susan. Not a Mary, either, although I notice we have a Bill coming up next year. Been waiting a long time for that one. Heh. I grew up with Hurricane Bill, and it can be a mean one!

What's scary is that by 2011 and 2012 I start to recognize the names as re-runs. Beryl and Barry. Ernesto and Humberto. Gabrielle. I remember these from the past few years. I find it hard to believe they're that hard up for names. They can come up with Igor, but can't find something original that starts with a B?

4 comments:

mayberry said...

Igor? HEEHEE!

You're right though. That one sounds like it could be nasty.

From the Doghouse said...

Fiona will start off small and sweet but will become big and green.

Webmaster said...

Sandy.
Heh.

About time.

The Topiary Cow said...

The problem is that they can't reuse names once a big hurricane has been named that. There are hundreds of ones that have been retired from the list.

Think that's why they're using weird and foreign names now.

Moo!