Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Political Impact

There was much hub-bub about the President's visit to Jackson yesterday. And by hub-bub I mostly mean inconvience since the trip was nothing more than a fundraiser for a local candidate with no actual impact beyond creating a nightmarish traffic situation in one of the busiest parts of town. But wait... that's not entirely true.

While discussing this with Greg last night (and my desire to not watch the 10pm news coverage of the events) I realized the real, local impact of the visit. An extra half a million bucks worth of annoying television ads which we, the people of Mississippi, will be subjected to in the months prior to the election. I'm not even in the candidate's district, I couldn't vote for him or against him if I wanted to, but I'll get to see plenty of his ads, courtesy of our Commander-in-Chief. Thanks, Mr. President, for the long lasting impact you've offered us. I think I'll go home and shoot my TV. *

*No, honey, I'm not really going to go home and shoot the jumbotron. Nor the BATV. We can't afford to replace either of them right now and you know I'm not giving up my Wii time this week!

3 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

Growing up, my house was just a couple of miles from the Navy base where the President (whomever he might be at the time) would fly into whenever he'd come to town. My mom got used to finding alternate routes to work, because she had to do it all too often.

The Topiary Cow said...

You're right about the ads.

Unfortunately.
Moo!

Webmaster said...

It just keeps getting better with GWB.
*smirk*