Sunday, July 20, 2008

By the Numbers

There were a dozen things I thought about posting while in California, but I was too busy being still and lazily roaming the streets. Here's a summary of some of things we saw that I thought about blogging:

2 car accidents, both of which happened while we were walking past on the sidewalk.

2 weddings (including one with entire groom's party in kilts, and a live bagpiper!)

2 otters. Merry and Pippin. At the zoo.

2 books finished, a third started.

2 rather useless ticket counter attendants and 500 people trying to get boarding passes. Followed shortly by two planes boarding at the same time from one gate. The SB airport is the epitome of chaos, as well as being the smallest airport I've ever been in. Yes, Sharonda, even smaller than St. Croix, and with a smaller outdoor baggage claim.

$25 million home real estate listings. Yes, multiples.

1 Double-decker bus, as in an old beat up bus with a full-sized van body attached to its roof. SB has a whole different world of homeless. I can't even explain the other van parked nearby, with every inch of paint covered with some type of bizarre decoration - sea shells, posters, jewelry.

Dozens of pups. SB was the most pup-friendly city I have ever been in, hands down. Casper would have loved it. They were all over the sidewalks, the beach, even inside some stores. All over the place they had little public stands with poop-scoop bags and mitts. Clearly, pups were very welcome there.

I have a couple of other pictures to post if I ever get them off my camera, including my most entertaining lunch companion on Friday, who sought refuge at my table after being chased around the Warf by two somewhat deranged women.

8 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

But did you have fun?

Susan said...

I did have fun, but to be honest, by Saturday afternoon I felt like I'd done everything and was ready to come home.

clstigger said...

Guess I haven't mentioned to you that Rob will be in a wedding in Oct in a kilt!

Susan said...

No. Way. Ok, let's start the negotiations now. How much do you want for pictures?

Mrs.H said...

One thing I've noticed about Californians: They are the best hydrated people on the planet. One thing that struck me when we visited was the alien plant life. Things that grow there don't look much like the things that grow here.

From the Doghouse said...

It's the steroids and Botox, Mrs.H.

Susan said...

I did notice the abundance of plants. Along the two main roads near the beach there were massive amounts of colorful plants everywhere, but I was able to identify most of them - cannas, impatients, bougavillas, and, strangely, strawberry plants. I noticed the strawberries in the patio landscaping at one of the restaurants where we ate. I thought the entire area looked like a vibrant colorful watercolor painting!

The Topiary Cow said...

You're right about the flowers, lots of things grow well there that here just don't make it (hollyhocks, geraniums, etc.)

The best part of Santa Barbara is going up the coast to Cambria and touring through Hearst Castle.

Moo!