Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Worth It

You know, I could use up a lot of energy whinning about how our ten our trip home from South Carolina yesterday turned into a seventeen hour trip home, but I realized very quickly during the begining of our saga that things could be sooooooo much worse. Sometimes crap happens. Sometimes you have a blowout on I-20 an hour into a ten hour drive home. Sometimes it causes a six hour delay. Sometimes sitting in a cramped car or plastic waiting room chair for seventeen straight hours makes your chronic muscle pain rather irritable. But it's ok. We made it home and did so in pretty good spirits, considering.

Most importantly, at least I got to spend the weekend with Lauren & Ed and the boys. I do enjoy those trips. Her boys are like no other children I've ever known, and I love them dearly. Especially when Edwin, age 5, decides that any word in the English language is hysterically funny if you add the suffix "head." And when Ian, age 2, walks around randomly humming the Darth Vader theme from Star Wars. Seriously, they're great. We were very tempted to buy the house for sale next door to them and just stay.

I have to admit, the time with them was worth the horrid torture I endured in the waiting room at the tire place, watching All My Children and listening to the two geniuses who were also waiting. One of which didn't know that Saddam Hussein was dead and the other thought Muslims lived in India in the Taj Mahal. Thank goodness I had Greg with me to help maintain my sanity in those final minutes when I cracked and almost throttled the guy behind the counter who, six hours earlier, had told us it would only take an hour and a half, maybe two hours to fix the car.

3 comments:

Supermom said...

no way... you had a blow out and spent 6 hours in a waiting room????

you are a stronger woman than I..

Susan said...

No, clearly if I was that strong I really could have throttled the guy at the counter.

Seriously though, I was fine for the first five hours or so. And every single person who came through the waiting room had to go ask at least once what was taking so long on their car. And there's just not a lot you can do when they have your car on the lift with the tires off. Not like you can just throw a tantrum and drive off.

From the Doghouse said...

Maybe you should have started humming the Darth Vader theme. They may have shut up so you didn't use the Force on them.