Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Trying Something New

Some of you are going to be shocked by this.

I've never cooked with yeast.

There, I've said it. I've seen it done, my mom and grandma both made the most fantabulous holiday rolls, but I've never actually done it myself.

Then we went to visit Lauren and she whipped out some of the most awesome muffins for breakfast one morning. Dang, those were good muffins! I inquired about their origins and discovered that she made them from a starter bread someone had given her. Great. Except I had no starter bread starter.

After we got home and recovered from the assorted mishaps, I started doing some research and found a recipe for both a starter and a bread that looks like it might be close to what she used, so I ventured to the grocery store, bought my yeast, and went to work. It's not a quick process, as many of you know. I'm on day 7 of 10 and somehow I've remembered to give it the required daily attention, even when it meant jumping up out of bed when almost asleep because I realized I hadn't stirred the bread! I've fed it, stirred it, and talked to it. It still bubbles when I greet it, so hopefully the yeasties are still alive and kicking. I guess I'll find out this weekend when it's time to actually bake up some muffins!

5 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

That sounds really cool. I've never done it either, so keep us up to date as to how your little belchers grow!

Supermom said...

No way could I make a starter bread.

Speaking of starter bread... you haven't been on MR's blog for a month. What gives????

Susan said...

Ha, Doghouse! I, too, feel the need to break out sock puppets to demonstrate from time to time!

How exactly does MR's blog relate to starter bread? I've barely been keeping my head above water as it is, I just haven't had time to keep up with all the comments over there. I do good to read the posts in my RSS reader!

Stacey said...

I'd never cooked with yeast till I had a bread maker. Which my stepdad gave me. I'm not a very ambitious chef.

mayberry said...

Just call me when the muffins are ready. Next to biscuits, muffins are my crack.