Saturday, May 3, 2008

You Know You're Getting Well...

All of our attempts at eating healthier over the past month or so have gone by the wayside over the past couple of weeks. Between work stress, being sick for two solid weeks, and trying to take care of other people, I don't think I've cooked a real meal in weeks. Cooking real food, much less healthy meals, takes more energy and planning than pasta-in-a-box or a burger from Sonic. Since Greg's gotten sick too, food hasn't been a priority at all. We can't taste anything and can hardly swallow, so eating's just too much trouble. I have lost all interest in being in the kitchen at all. Until now.

I've been laying on the couch going through one of the new cookbooks I got for my birthday - the Paula Dean The Lady & Sons set. Holy. Cow. Before I got out of the appetizers I'd found five things I wanted to cook. Greg had made a joke when I got them about how there wouldn't be a thing in there that we could eat if we were eating "healthy," but I've actually found quite a few things that are either not slathered in butter or are easily adjusted to be more healthy . Besides, we've both lost 5 pounds on the "too sick to care about eating" diet, so I think I can a few liberties. As long as I stay out of the dessert section, with its Double Dutch Chocolate Fudge Upside Down Cake. And the Sour Cream Caramel Cake. And the Caramel Apple Cheesecake. Oh my. Ok, back to the main courses. Baked flounder. Basil Grilled Chicken. Pepper Steak. Corn Chowder... Sigh. I think I'm getting better. This is the first time I've been really hungry in two weeks. Too bad there's no actual food in the house!

1 comment:

From the Doghouse said...

Who needs a thermometer? Read a cookbook to find out if you're getting well!