Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Plant Update and a Note to Lauren

Despite my almost successful attempt at growing veggies from seeds, they fell victim to the plague in our household at the end of April. However, I will not be thwarted, and will try again next year. Meanwhile, I gave up and bought plants yesterday.



Notice the cameo by my curious pup. All in all, I planted seven tomatoes (3 different kinds) and six jalapeƱos (actually I had to buy a pack of 9, but only planted 3. Anybody need jalapeƱos? Got 3 Heatwave tomatoes left, too...) I also dug up and potted several of the herbs Mom gave me, as they were not happy in the back bed. And I realize that I did have some seed luck. I planted a couple of short rows of lettuce seed directly into the back flower bed (please ignore the grass, I know it needs to be weeded and thinned!):



And while I'm showing off, the canna in the front yard decided to go on display this weekend:




And finally, a note to Lauren. These are the mystery plants I'm planning to bring when we come, if it will stop raining long enough for me to dig some up:



They're short little plants (see the ones in the background) but send up stalks that hold the bloom. They like the partly sunny/mostly shady part of the flower bed. (Clucky, what is this? Ever seen it???) I'll work on getting the day lillies and brides wreath dug up as well. At least I know what those are!

13 comments:

CluckyRN said...

OK dear..on your behalf, I sent the pics and description to Felder Rushing, plant guru. I will either post the answer or we can listed to Gestalt Gardener on Friday morning and see what he says :) It looks kind of like a lily, like a tiger lily, but I think they only bloom once a year. The stalk reminds me of a Mexican Petunia. Anyway, I want one!!!
~:>
PS-Casper looks cute as a button :)

Susan said...

I knew I could count on you! I hadn't thought of a tiger lily, but it's a pretty small bloom. It's like a thumb-sized trumpet. And you're welcome to one, I'm digging some up for my mom and Lauren. I'm all about sharing!

Casper is only half as cute as he has been. He's shed so much hair in the past week you could knit a new dog out of my living room garbage can!

Anonymous said...

they look like alstromeria to me (which i believe is a member of the lily family)...

Susan said...

Those are the ones you had at your wedding, right? I was thinking they looked similar, but I don't think it's the same thing. I think the alstromeria has more clusters of blooms and different leaves. Could be a different variety, though. I do think it's going to fall in the lilly family.

Supermom said...

I'm jealous

clstigger said...

where is this flower in your yard?

The Topiary Cow said...

Cow wants the puppy. Puppy puppy puppy.

Moo!

Susan said...

The flower is in the back bed, over by the laundry room wall. It looks like ground cover most of the time, then poof, it blooms.

And TC, if that blasted pup wakes me up at 2:30am one more time I may consider giving him to you! His internal alarm needs to be reset to a reasonable hour.

clstigger said...

I remember Gina gave me some kind of lily for a gift that we planted in that back bed.

Susan said...

That was one of the bigger lillies, orange I believe. It's still back there but not very happy about it. Actually I don't know if it survived the most recent digging around.

CluckyRN said...

Here is your answer!
alstroemeria, commonly called "parrot lily"... its new foliage comes up in late summer, goes through the winter with no problems at all, but starts to look ragged this time of year. best to transplant in mid summer or early fall. very easy, because it's kinda invasive (i grow some in my garden, and some in shallow pots for winter foliage).
felder
~:>

Susan said...

Looks like Lauren hit the nail on the head! And I believe that is one of her favorite flowers, so hopefully I can keep some alive on the trip for her. Thanks Clucky! Let me know if you want some and we'll work out a way to get it to you.

Anonymous said...

It is my all time favorite because it comes in so many colors...generally have a vase full from my boys in the kitchen (great buy at most govery stores) They had some potted at lowes this summer for the first time and i just could not justify spending the 24 bucks on the "assorted container plant". i want the plant not the cutesy container they were selling it in...i have plenty of POTS. I really hope it survives the trip. see you SOON!!!