Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Why I Hate DirectTV

First, let me say this isn't my deal. It's my husband's deal, and that's a good thing. I'm just commenting on the situation as a bystander.

Second, let me say that I really didn't realize exactly how much I am like my father until yesterday. I now understand why he has my mom take care of these types of things. I do, indeed, have his temper.

As most of you know, we took a step back into the 19th century about a year ago and canceled out cable TV service. It wasn't an easy decision, but it was a good one that resulted in that much more money going towards our mortgage payoff each month. Now, after a couple of months of research and discussion, we've taken the step back. Greg found a way to make it budget-neutral by shifting money from some other places, so it's all good. Having said that...

I had DirecTV one many many years ago before I moved to Jackson. I was in a tiny town so I wasn't able to go through DirecTV directly, I had to go through a local provider. At the time I officially declared the local company to have the worst customer service ever.

Then I moved to Jackson and had to deal with Time Warner Cable.

Which was then changed to Comcast... (shudder)

By the time we canceled our cable service I had a whole new appreciation for that original local company. I thought I knew what real bad service was. Now, after yesterday's incident with DirecTV, I'm wondering if Comcast is really so bad.

I won't go into details. Anybody with a pay TV service has been there. Besides, I realized this morning that in the spirit of Easter I should get over it. Yes, Easter is technically over but the grace of Easter never ends. And even DirecTV employees deserve forgiveness. I don't really believe that it was any one individual's intent to be a liar or cheat or disrespectful, or incompetent or stupid. I think it's a problem with the company as a whole. The lack of communication - not just with the customer but among their own employees - creates a large part of the problem. The company's policies and inflexibility create the rest.

See, I feel better now. Good thing I didn't post this last night when I was mad enough to throw things, cuss some people out, and probably get banned from ever having satellite television again. Although if this was my deal and I was handling it, I'm pretty sure that would have happened. Since it's not, I'll just say that I am not a fan of DirecTV as a company and if anybody is thinking about subscribing to their service, I beg you, find an alternative. They lie. And cheat. And are disrespectful. And borderline incompetent/stupid. Thank you.

(And no, I can't name a better alternative. When did we, as a culture, give up on demanding good service? We accept being treated like dirt by all of the pay television service companies because it's standard and to be expected, but that shouldn't be good enough!)

6 comments:

Greg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greg said...

Mrs. Honey, I'm right there with you. And if that second charge for 196 dollars does hit the credit union account tomorrow like I think it will, DirecTV might be out on April 1st picking up the equipment instead of trying to repair the DVR.

I know I haven't mentioned this to you yet, because you are asleep. As I was trying to "fix" the DVR again, I just found a reconditioned sticker on the back. Why am I paying for NEW equipment and have somehow gotten ahold of reconditioned equipment????

There will be a call made tomorrow......

Susan said...

You're kidding, right? You have to be kidding. Let me call them. Come on, I wanna do it.

No, I shouldn't do it. Bad plan. But the guy that comes out on Tuesday better hope he doesn't show up before you get home, because he doesn't want to deal with me. Who am I kidding. He won't show up before 10 PM!

Dish Network is looking better by the minute, HD channels or not.

From the Doghouse said...

I have a friend who will tell you Dish is just as bad.

We've moved on from DirecTV ourselves and are awaiting irritation from cable now.

Susan said...

Yeah, my parents have Dish and have a few problems with the equipment and such. At this point there isn't a good choice, it becomes lesser of evils. And with DirecTV, it's becoming a matter of principle. And money.

Our biggest complaint with Comcast was that after they took over from Time Warner our actual television signal deteriorated. Several channels, like Food Network, started getting very fuzzy. Well, that and they were kinda dumb. I could tell many dumb Comcast stories. Like when they sent a service rep out to our house to determine that the channel we couldn't get wasn't actually offered by Comcast at all, even though it was on list and the guide!

Greg said...

And Bravesvision is still on the channel list. Got to love that.