Sunday, March 30, 2008

Picture Collage - Weekend Whirlwind


Mobile, AL - Surprise! Happy 60th Birthday, Rick! Jen and her mom did a great job of planning the surprise party. And that's my new little friend, Danny, chilling before dinner.


Gulf Shores, AL - How can we be so close and not visit our favorite sandy hangout? We left Mobile this morning and drove on down for a quick visit. Ok, so it's not Ft. Morgan, and it was entirely too crowded, but it was close enough for an hour's walk and of course...


Lunch at Bahama Bob's Beachside Cafe.


I opted not to stop in Robertsdale because the photographic opportunities there are overwhelming and deserve a the attention of a day when I have time to get the giant chicken, bear, metal flying bee, library-church, AND the row of American flags, but we did stop in Loxley, home of Robin Hood (how did he get to England from Alabama???). I got my picture made in front of the giant strawberry outside of the Buress Market. I also insisted on stopping in Magee for a shot of the statue of liberty in front of the Super 8 hotel. Been wanting to photograph that old girl since I first saw her on our way down for our honeymoon, but circumstances have always led us to drive past. There were quite a few people mulling around, so we just did a drive by snapshot instead of getting out and posing with it. Maybe next time.

Have I mentioned that I love the fact that I married a man who would gladly stop in every rinky-dink town in Alabama to take pictures of the most random local landmarks imaginable, just because I find them funny?

6 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

No shots from the Flora-Bama?

Susan said...

It was my understanding that the Flora-Bama did not surive Hurricaine Ivan. Which was shocking. You'd think the duct tape that held it together would have been stronger than that. That aside, we didn't venture down that side of Beach Blvd. We were only in town a couple of hours and had other places to go, like the Purple Octopus!

Webmaster said...

I love the fruit stand in Loxley! I stop there every time I go to Mobile or Orange Beach or Gulf Shores. Your photos take me back. :)

Susan said...

Kind of like driving down Hwy 49 - there's somebody selling something edible about every 40 feet!

Nicole Bradshaw said...

Susan! We are headed to Gulf Shores for the first time in May. Would love any tips/info you'd like to pass along . . .

P.S. LOVE the photos!

Susan said...

Do you know where you're staying and what kinds of things you'd like to do? Email me at my profile address and I'll give you the run-down on some our favorite places and some good resources for stuff to do. We've been down 4 or 5 times in the past year and a half!