Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Gone With the Wind

One of the main things I remember about Katrina, the actual storm as opposed to the aftermath, is standing at my back door looking at the trees in the back yard and praying for them not to come down on the house. We have 3 trees that are either dead or on the way to dead, two of which could easily have fallen on the house. They didn't, thank goodness. Crazy as this sounds, a few weeks ago, during a storm while Greg was out of town, I had suddenly had this bizarre fear that I would come home and find one of those trees down on the house. There was no real reason for me to think that, it was out of the blue. That same tree I was worried about then happens to be the one that took a dive during today's strong winds. Lucky for us, it chose to fall backwards instead of toward the house.



You can kind of see a where the upper branches start if you notice the "V" shaped limbs at the top of the picture. That's the part that would have been on the house if it had fallen forward, instead of falling on the supposed site of the new library.



I had Greg take this one with me in it to get an idea of how big this stupid tree was.

Now we just have to figure out what to do with it. And contemplate getting the other two dead trees taken down. But that will probably have to wait a few months, unless somebody is willing to do it for free firewood!

8 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

Out of the blue isn't always out of the blue.

The Topiary Cow said...

It is SO expensive getting tree things done.

Cow just spend 200 bucks for some stump grinding. And 350 bucks for cutting one down that was too close to the house.

Cow is very glad this one fell away from the house...

Moo!

Supermom said...

just have Casper kick down the other two. I'm sure he'll do it for treats.

Susan said...

I'm sure Casper would, but he'd probably demand better treats! What's funny is that he probably could escape pretty easy now if he tried, but he has no desire to go anywhere.

I dread having to pay to get it removed, but paying to get the house fixed would have been much worse! I remember before when I was thinking about it falling I kept thinking that if it hit the house, it would hit just so that I couldn't get in the front door, and would take out power lines in the back so I couldn't get to the back door...

Supermom said...

But if it had hit the house, insurance would have paid for it. =)

(ok, that was tongue in cheek)

Webmaster said...

Dang ... good thing that didn't fall on the house!
Go ahead and get rid of the others. You're right , it's going to cost some money, but it costs more to remove them AND fix your house. And you don't want to be in the house when it falls.
yikes ...

Gary said...

Wow! Just saw the story about your escape artist dog and couldn't help linking back to the tree itself. We had a bit of a storm back here in 06 and lost 9 trees. Somehow the only damage done from all of them combined was a section of pasture fencing.

http://picasaweb.google.com/RoadsEndLlamas/StormTrees#

Nature can shake up your day without trying at all.

Susan said...

It's amazing you didn't have more damage, those were some big trees! I couldn't believe that all of ours have survived various hurricanes, but this one came down on a random windy day. Crazy.