Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Doing Without

The couple on the radio this morning were talking about taking a "virtual break" from electronics for a day, and whether or not people could do it. No phones, no TV, no computer, no radio/mp3 players, no video games. Oh yeah. I could do it. Easily. I hardly ever use my phone anyway, except to text my husband to coordinate where we're meeting for stuff, and the TV and radio are more for background noise than entertainment most of the time. The computer? Yes, I'm online a lot, but in truth I spend much less time online over the weekends than during the week, and could easily take a day or two without it (and I think we all know that Stacey can do it!).

The thing they kept asking callers was, "What would you do instead of watching TV, etc.?"

That's an easy one for me. And answering it makes me realize that I should probably make a serious effort to do other things more often. During the week I'm too tired in the evenings and on the weekends I feel like I'm always trying to catch up on housework or shopping. But if I really had a break, with no electronics or household to-do list...

I'd read. A lot.
I'd cook some new fun things.
I'd play in the dirt in my yard.
I'd start quilting again.
I'd start cross stitching again.
I'd finish 2 scrapbooks I've started.
I'd do some fun things like go to the zoo or take day trips to nearby fun places.
I'd take my pup for a walk and throw more squeaks.
I'd exercise. Maybe even start playing tennis again.

The list could go on. Maybe it's time to stop making excuses and start doing some of those things.

8 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

Read, sleep, eat. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Susan said...

I'm pretty sure that describes how I spent last sunday, minus the reading!

Christy said...

That's not a bad idea..since I too have two scrapbooks to finish, 3 books to read, an empty yard that needs landscaping...I need to get off my keester and get ta work!!

Susan said...

What's sad is that I've come to realize that the lazier I get the less I do the things I enjoy because I spend what little time I'm active doing things I have to get done!

Nicole Bradshaw said...

I have to say, I'm a list freak. As part of an online project, I made a list of 101 things to do in 1001 days. The list covered lots of things - volunteering, being creative, doing some things I need to do but have been putting off, and just plain enjoying life. I have to say, it's working for me so far. If you're a list-maker (and maybe a little OCD), I recommend it as a way to get "around to it."

Webmaster said...

I think I'd go into withdrawals (lying on the floor, shaking) if I had to unplug from the computer. Phone I can do without. TV and radio ... no problem. But I gotta have my facebook. And MississippiMoms.com. I swear I'm an addict.

The Topiary Cow said...

Cow is with Doghouse.

Read, eat, sleep....

Moo!

Susan said...

I make lists all the time. I usually lose the list before I finish it. Or I forget I have it. Or lose it. Or I make the items on it so cryptic that I later have no idea what I was talking about. Or lose it.