Thursday, February 21, 2008

Yikes

For those of you who are local, picture this:

Driving up Woodrow Wilson from Clinton, turning left onto State Street, then turning onto Lakeland,
At 6:00PM
In complete darkness
And pouring rain
with no traffic lights.

I don't ever want to do that again. And UMC looks really freaky in total darkness. As a side note, a memo to the two idiots in the SUVs on Lakeland this evening- When traffic lights are out it does not mean you have the right of way to plow through all intersections at top speed. 4. Way. Stop.

What was I doing heading back towards work at that hour on a night like this? I wasn't actually heading to the hospital, I was heading to Nick's restaurant for one of our regular conferences. I was really afraid we wouldn't have much of a turnout, considering that the power was out at all three of the big downtown hospitals where most of our attendees work. Turned out we had less than usual, but not as few as I expected. My pessimism towards the attendance didn't have anything to do with an anticipation of additional patient care due to the blackout, it had to do with the fact that most of the docs park in the garages and couldn't get their cars out.

On another side note, Greg got called in to work when the power went out, which means he is missing bowling for the 3rd week in a row. I got a message a little while ago that power was back up at UMC about 8PM but I expect he'll be there a while since the servers were still not up. It'll be a long night for him.

6 comments:

clstigger said...

Well according to Dr Tarquinio... UMC police finally gave up and had Dr's with big trucks knock down the gates to the parking lots.

Susan said...

Now that's funny. Our docs from St. D's caught rides with some of the nurses. We were about to send some people to shuttle them.

Supermom said...

Yummm... Nicks....

From the Doghouse said...

"Hey Doc; let's find out what this big truck is made of. Ram it!"

Susan said...

We do half the year at Nicks and half at Shappleys. I don't usually eat, but I went a few times when I worked at the bank and it was wonderful, but I think Shappleys is my favorite of the two.

And Doghouse, I'd love to know which doc took out the gate. I can see some of mine enjoying that tremendously!

Webmaster said...

I was still working feverishly Thursday evening when everything went dark at the Ledger. Not even our emergency lights. I'm talking pitch black. A coworker said it wasn't that bad during the hurricane. I don't know what the problem was but I took it as my cue to leave for the day!