Sunday, December 16, 2007

Joy to the World

Today was the 3rd Sunday in Advent, which meant the lighting of the candle of joy at church this morning, and joy was the topic of Ross' sermon.

Specifically, he talked about the difference between happiness and joy. When you ask people what they want they'll tell you they want to be happy, but you hardly ever hear anybody say they want joy. Ross used the sermon to define what he sees as the difference in the two.

Happiness, according to Ross, is generally fueled by external sources. Relationships. Money/things. Health. Success. These are things the can make us happy.

Joy, on the other hand, is internal. Joy is knowing contentment regardless of external circumstances. It's the feeling of being confident that God is with you no matter what you're dealing with. Hearing Ross describe it reminded me of my wedding vows, promising to love and support for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health. That makes sense, when you consider that Christ is referred to as the bridegroom of the church. Joy is knowing that Christ is with you for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health.

I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for Ross to prepare for today's sermon in the same week that he preached a funeral for a church member which specifically addressed suicide. Then again, I suppose the contrast could serve to strengthen the message in both services.

Anyway, the sermon's been on my mind today and has caused a shift in the way I've been thinking and praying. Happiness is all great, and I appreciate every moment of it that I get, but it's always going to be fleeting. I want the joy.

1 comment:

mayberry said...

This is so true. SO true. I really needed to be reminded of this. Thanks!