Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Decisions, Decisions...

So the subject of moving my office came up again today and it now seems I have a choice. No, not the choice I'd like to have, but a choice of two different areas of the building I don't want to be in. Actually, it was 3 choices but I vetoed one very quickly.

So choice #1 is an office that is currently set up in 4 cubicles and has one other occupant who is home about two hours a week. It's a nice area, carpeted, with typical overhead storage and a decent L-shaped workspace with locking drawers. They are willing to rearrange the cubicle walls to make my area a little bigger if I want. However, it's a pretty small area and there is a good chance I'll get a second office-mate which suggests they lie about moving the walls. The potential office-mate does much of the scheduling which means she's on the phone a LOT, which could easily make me crazy.

Choice #2 is the original office they were putting me in. It is actually a little larger than I thought. It appears to be a former lab area, as it has one of those long steel-topped cabinets with ton of shelving above and cabinets below. It isn't a traditional office space, and the only "desk" area is an ancient wooden desk with a few small drawers, no locks on any of the storage. I only have one confidential set of files and they have offered to get me a filing cabinet for that. Right now it has cinderblock walls and the old ugly tile floor and is behind the medical files room, but they are in process of going to all electronic records at which time I've been told the whole thing can be remodeled, carpeted, painted, and the space reallocated. Did I mention the wall in the bakc of the office used to have a chute that was used for radioactive materials?

So now I have to decide. Do I go with the currently nicer, smaller space and live with roommates, or do I go with the larger, dingerier space with less distractions and the potential to be a nicer office in the future. I'm leaning in one direction, but then I start considering all the ways in which what I'm probably being misled about what the future will hold (not on purpose but because it changes every couple of hours) and I just can't decide.

Then again, does it matter? Chances are they'll start trying to move me again in a couple of months.

8 comments:

Webmaster said...

For sanity's sake, go with the dingy space. For health's sake, go with the roommates.
Clear as mud now, I'm sure. LOL

Best of luck to you...

From the Doghouse said...

Don't say anything; based on what they say, they're not ever gonna get around to moving you anyway. Besides, if you tell them what you want, if they do move you it will be to the other one.

mayberry said...

Take the quiet space. There is much to be said for peace and quiet. Take it from somebody who went from working in a small building with about 40 women to an office with just me and the boss. Ahh! I love to hear nothing but the hum of my heater in the morning.

Supermom said...

I completely agree with doghouse

Susan said...

Well, the web tangled a little more this morning when other things changed and more truth revealed. Right now I'm glad I still have a job, regardless of where I'm sitting. And I will definately have to move, since as of Jan 1 I will no longer be on payroll for the budget area I'm currently sitting in!

mayberry said...

That doesn't sound comforting....

Susan said...

Tell me about it. But I work for some good people (not so much the one that's ditching me, but the others) who could have just dissolved my position altogether, but instead made the effort to find me a new pay source!

From the Doghouse said...

And they say getting along with others doesn't pay off!