Monday, November 26, 2007

Mad Cow Disease Infects USM Athletic Dept

Because it wasn't enough for the Ole Miss coach to get fired, and for Senator Trent Lott to announce he's "retiring," now USM has fired Coach Bower. Frankly, I don't care a whole lot about the first two, kinda happy about the first and conflicted about the second, but I'm downright pissed about Bower.

He's been at Southern Miss 17 freaking years. Winning season after winning season. Countless bowl games. No drama within the program. No investigations, no sanctions. And a downright good man. What the heck. I realize there are plenty of politics within college sports, but I just don't get this one.

I hope he gets picked up in a great deal for tons more money. And, I hope he gets to stay at least somewhat close to home. I remember when his daughter was killed in an accident many years ago. Rumor had it that he had seriously considered leaving a while back but chose to stay in part because he wanted to stay close to where she was burried.

Of all the hairbrained things my alma mater has done over the past few years... Geezum petes.

8 comments:

mayberry said...

I don't really know about the college football drama other than it seems like a cut-throat business. The Trent Lott thing so soon after the Chip Pickering announcement has me really wondering what is up with the Republicans?

Glad you had a good Turkey Day. I, like you, avoided venturing out Friday at all costs!

Supermom said...

AMEN, SISTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BENJI said...

Opposed to the all around good man comment, I'll agree totally with your blog. I was shocked and had to check it out on many other sites before I believed the Buzzards had fired Bower. CRAZY CRAZY!

Hey the 'Dogs are going bowling so atleast somethings are back to normal!

Susan said...

I couldn't make up something that off the wall. The local paper suggested the alums and local fans felt he was stagnant and wasn't filling the stands.

And USM is going bowling for the 9th time in 10 years. Doesn't really seem to matter. I was glad to see the dawgs get back into the game, though. I just love it when they smack the Rebs around. Or squeak by. Either way.

Webmaster said...

I hear there's an opening at Ole Miss...

From the Doghouse said...

I think a change of scenery will do wonders for him.

Susan said...

I agree that it's probably good for his career. Leaving years ago would have been good for his career. But the way USM officials handled the situation was bad.

USM is the only college team I care anything about, but yesterday I was hoping Coach would get a job at another C-USA school just so he could come back and stomp all over the Eagles in some big game next year. He's been good to that school. He deserved to be treated better.

The Topiary Cow said...

Agreed.

Loyalty meant nothing to the suits at USM apparently, and neither did a winning, solid record.

The best excuse they seemed to come up with was "the fans wanted a change." Sounds like buck passing.

Moo!