Sunday, November 11, 2007

Car-b-que

My dad has an old Studebaker car that he's rebuilt as a drag racer. Bill drives it on weekends when he's in Philly with the fam. They race at a track about 45 minutes away from my parents' house. The car's name is Frieda. Here's the before picture:



Friday night they were running test & tune (for those who don't speak redneck, that means it's a practice night) when Dad and Bill set the car on fire. According to my mom, who called me from the scene in a panic, the flames were several feet above the roof of the car and there were people with fire extinguishers jumping the fence and running from all directions. I asked her if they brought marshmallows. She said no.

Mom said the incident had something to do with them working on the carburetor, but I have a sneaky feeling the truth is that they brought Bill a birthday cake and lit the candles, which created the bonfire that set the car on fire, creating the car-b-que.




I had hoped somebody got pictures of the flames, but of course they were all to busy actually trying to put out the fire to take pictures. Drat. THAT would have been a great picture.

The good news is that in the 1950's they made cars out of steel, so with a little work it can be fixed. Any car made today would have melted.

3 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

As Paris Hilton would say, that car's hot.

Susan said...

I mentioned to bill that I wish they'd gotten pictures of it on fire. He said the pictures were burned into his memory, as he had a front row seat. He was strapped in the driver's seat when it ignited!

Stacey said...

Oh man, that sucks. I'm glad it can be repaired.