Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Reading Material

Two weeks ago Greg and I had exactly zero magazine subscriptions. Today we have 9. No, I didn't lose my mind overnight. Two were a result of our vacation splurge, when we bought a bunch of magazines and each found one we liked enough to spend some of our "stuff" money to subscribe. The other 7 we're not actually paying for.

Yesterday I got a final notice from Delta that my Skymiles were expiring in November. I think I signed up for Delta Skymiles years ago, but I've never accumulated enough miles on any one airline to make opening the statements worthwhile. I've been getting these notices for a couple of months and just tossing them, but last night Greg opened one and asked why I didn't just cash them in for magazines... Huh? You can do that?

Oh yeah. You can do that. Most of them are one year subscriptions that you can get by cashing in anywhere from 500-1,400 miles each. I had 8,330 miles. Sadly, even with the seven subscriptions, I had about 2,000 miles left. The selection wasn't very good and I'd already picked several that I wouldn't ever buy in a store, much less pay to subscribe, just because they were free and it would be something different. I drew the line at Golf for Women and People en Espanol. There was literally nothing else on the list I could stand to have my mail carrier see. Not to mention I really don't need the additional clutter in my home or my mailbox!

The true test comes a year from now, when I start getting renewal notices in the mail.

5 comments:

Supermom said...

my own crack.

(cocaine..not butt)

Stacey said...

Get Star magazine. Yeah, it's trashy celebrity gossip, but they have GREAT crossword puzzles.

mayberry said...

I love magazines. I just wish I had time to read them!

Susan said...

And make that 10. For some reason we're getting Wired magazine. Never heard of it. Didn't subscribe to it. Got one in the mail last month. Thought it was odd, but figured maybe it was a promotion or something. Got another one yesterday. It's a mystery.

My big fear is we'll get all these, never read them, and I'll just end up with more clutter. When Jen worked at the children's hospital I'd send them to work with her to put in the play rooms for the families. Guess I could start donating some to our waiting room here.

Webmaster said...

Magazines are so fun. Everytime I open my mailbox and see the latest Rolling Stone, it's like Christmas. I have to devour the whole thing. Hubby's the same way with outdoors magazines. :)