Thursday, October 18, 2007

Identity Crisis

So I just got another email about a workplace survey I'm supposed to do. I get a lot of these, because I work for a big place. One of the very first questions asked if I worked for the Hospital side or the University side. Um. I had to think about it. My job is split between two different budget areas and I have 4 different bosses, none of which actually claim me because I really don't have much to do with their primary work areas. I basically coordinate our department's fellowship program and act as a liason between our fellows and both the university and hospital, along with doing extra educational related "stuff" for both sides.

After much debate (coin flip) I chose one and continued to the next page, which asked for more specific information about the area where I work. None of them fit. I am an area unto myself.

I backed up and chose the other one, just to see if it gave me different options on the drop down menus. Nope. I didn't even get a second page. I was thanked for my participation and my survey was over.

Do you ever get the feeling you don't really exist?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem with the survey. When I got to the second question, nothing fit where I work. Know what I did? I just closed it and deleted the e-mail. Think this might be gounds for up to and including?

Anonymous said...

OOps--grounds for ...

The Topiary Cow said...

"I am an area unto myself."

Heh.

Webmaster said...

I know how you feel! I work in two different departments, sort of, and answer to a handful of bosses. I had to do a self-eval the other day, and most of the questions on the form didn't even apply to me (even though my formal job description says otherwise). What a pain.

Susan said...

Sadly, I kinda wanted to do the survey. It looked to be educational in nature, asking about what types of internal classes we thought employees might utilize (i.e. computer software and such). I just couldn't pass the secret handshake test to get in. Sigh.