Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Supreme Commander of the Universe

As much as I hate political ads, and I do hate political ads, I have to show a little appreciation for our candidates for Governor. If nothing else, they provide comic relief.

My favorite is by far John Eaves. The first time I saw one of his ads on TV my jaw dropped and I stared in disbelief. If he's elected, he's going to reinstate school prayer and Bible literacy in our public schools and he's going to protect the sanctity of human life, all to the backdrop of contemporary Christian music. Is he running for Governor or Supreme Court Justice? Pretty sure the U.S. Supreme Court has the final say in those two issues.

Since then I've enjoyed listening to the fact that big business has come to Mississippi to take our tax dollars without supplying jobs (huh?) and the fact that he's going to force insurance companies to pay claims. Isn't that the job of the Insurance Commissioner, or in the case of our Gulf Coast, the courts?

He's not running for Governor, he's running for Supreme Commander of the Universe. I wonder who thinks they have more power, Eaves or Frank Melton...

Now don't misunderstand me, I'm a strong Christian and appreciate Christian values in a candidate for public office. But I don't really like the idea of a candidate who either doesn't understand the role of the office he's running for, or thinks the voters are too stupid to realize that he's promising a whole lot of stuff that he doesn't have control over, just because it sounds good in the Bible Belt.

To be honest, I wouldn't find the ads half as hysterical if he was running as a Republican. He's not. He's a Democrat. Who supports school prayer, is pro-life, and a whole list of other typically Republican views. Granted, it's a great strategy to get attention here, but you gotta wonder who Democrats are going to vote for. Granted, he's got some typically Democrat views as well, but the big issues tend to swing very conservative.

And just to be fair, I crack up at some of Haley's ads, too. I just don't see as many of those because he knows he doesn't have to work as hard. He already has the name recognition and the power of incumbency. My favorite Haley ad is the one with the doctor talking about how he ended the lawsuit abuse that had been driving doctors out of Mississippi. The legal system had run amuck. Ha. Amuck, amuck, amuck. I've been making fun of that word for weeks now. My pup is amuck. The traffic is amuck. Work is amuck. I can't explain the fascination, the word just seems totally inappropriate for a campaign ad but really fun to use in real life.

Our political ads are amuck.

5 comments:

mayberry said...

Right on and AMEN to this post. I cannot STAND John Eaves' ads. They are reeking of BS!

mayberry said...

"Granted, it's a great strategy to get attention here, but you gotta wonder who Democrats are going to vote for."

I was wondering the same thing!

Stacey said...

Prayers isn't illegal in schools... that's totally a myth. It's just unethical for a teacher to force his or her kids to pray or attend prayer meetings. John Eaves is clearly pandering to the sound byte voter - the guy who says "Gee, that all sounds good" but has no idea how government works at all.

Susan said...

I don't think he stands much of a chance this year, but he scares me in 4 years. Too many voters have no idea how government works, either, and accept what they see on TV without much thought. I have noticed that he seems to have stopped running the school prayer ad. Maybe somebody gave him a clue.

CluckyRN said...

There was 2 boys a'runnin' down da screet last night totin' 2 a dem Eaves signs...fo' some reason, dey turnt into my carpote...

/giggle

Eaves is an IDIOT. I am with you...I have never ever seen a Dem that far to the right. They kicked out George Dale for less.