Monday, September 10, 2007

Six Degrees

When I was a senior in high school we had to memorize a certain number of lines of poetry for our English class. I got over half my lines by memorizing "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut" by Dr. Seuss.

I thought about that earlier today after explaining to Greg that I had a bright orange fish hand puppet at home, which was much like the fish in "One Fish, Two Fish" by the same esteemed poet. The aforementioned puppet had to be put away when it was discovered that he and Casper were not going to be BFF.

The hand puppet discussion was a result of seeing a nice variety of animal hand puppets at the gift shop at MRC this afternoon.

We were in the gift shop 15 minutes before the end of the work day to buy a birthday card.

We had to buy a card at the last minute because I left the card we so carefully picked out and bought last night at home.

The card we bought last night was just perfect for my mother-in-law, who we were taking out to dinner for her birthday tonight.

So there you have it. Six degrees of separation from Dr. Seuss to my mother-in-law.

2 comments:

Webmaster said...

LOL. Do you ever read James Joyce?
j/k
We love Dr. Seuss at the Beason house. I didn't memorize it as a kid, but after reading the same book 100 times to my daughter, it's burned in my memory now!
(not so, however, with any English poets or Irish ramblers)

Susan said...

I had an awesome senior English teacher. I couldn't believe she let me get away with that, but she did. At the time I was editor of our school paper (she was the sponsor)and had just written a front page article about his death.