Wednesday, September 5, 2007

How Mississippi Is THAT?

So, I read this book, on a recommendation from Clucky, that was written by a man in Union, MS, about circumstances during the original investigation of the 1964 civil rights murders. It just so happens that my dad's family is from that area, and Mom and Dad both still lived in Philadlephia during that time, so I got the book to send to him.

Today I emailed Dad today to make sure he hadn't already put his hands on the book before I mailed it (he has a way of coming up with random books from time to time) and in the course of the conversation it turns out that there's a chance that my great-grandfather, who was a sharecropper, may have worked land owned by the family of the man who wrote the book, probably in the 1940's or 1950's. How Mississippi is that?

6 comments:

CluckyRN said...

Susan, you will find as you get older that the world is a very small place.

4 years ago, I went to work in Valencia, CA on a travel nurse assignment. Guess who else works there? The sister of the Chief of Police of Newton.

It's a small world after all

~:>

Susan said...

Oh, don't I know it. One of my best friends lived in DC for a while, and you wouldn't believe the number of people from our high school class she ran into in airports!

When I worked at the bank I had a meeting with a client and an insurance guy in Kosciusko and joked with the client that we were probably related. Turns out I was related (very distantly) to both him AND the insurance guy from Jackson! Come to think of it, if you're actually FROM Union, we better not dig too deep...

CluckyRN said...

Actually, I'm a transplant from North Louisiana. My Mama is a really real McCoy from the mountains of Tennessee!

~:>

Susan said...

Oh, well then no wonder you fit in just fine in these parts!

Supermom said...

I was a speaker at the IT Security World Conference in San Francisco. A guy walked up to me the first morning, saw my badge and said, "I used to live in Mississippi". He was currently living in Washington DC.

After more chatting, I found out he was my husband's roommate in college.

How weird is THAT?!

Susan said...

Not weird, just Mississippi. There isn't six degrees of separation between anybody here. Seriously, does this happen to people from other places or is it just our phenomenon? I suspect it's because we make an effort to know more people, and talk to more people when we're traveling, therefore have more connections!