Thursday, August 30, 2007

Things That Aren't Really There

In a previous post I ran through some of the warnings on my brain meds, my favorite being seeing things that aren't really there and believing things that aren't really true.

Ok, so some background. Greg and I tend to drive Hwy 80 from I-220 to Clinton rather than take I-20. We have a hobby of taking roll for the bars along the strip to the Clinton line. There's Main Event, Second Chance, Rock Bottom/Crickets (which is now closed AGAIN), Betty Boop's, and The Horseshoe. We tend to make fun of the migration of cars from one to the other, and we know what makes a good night for each. Main Event tends to have a good showing most nights, whereas Betty Boop's and Rock Bottom/Cricket's would have a good night with 3 or 4 cars there. The one constant was The Horseshoe. At most, it had one truck. Parked in the back. All the neon would be on, open sign shining, one truck, parked in the back. Didn't matter what time - mid day or midnight - the same truck, if anything, parked in the back. Friday night, Saturday night, Tuesday night... yep. truck. back. That's it.

Tonight we were coming home from the airport around 10:30, taking roll at the assorted establishments, when I saw something incredible. The parking lot at the Horseshoe was completely packed. And there was a line of people at the door waiting to get in. Clearly, the end of the world was near. But then I noticed another anomaly. Right across the street there was a police car with lights ablaze, arresting someone, and another one directly ahead pulling another car over.

If it had just been the cars at the bar, my jaw would have dropped and I would have been in total shock. But to see people at the bar AND the local law enforcement actually enforcing on that strip of Hwy 80, ARRESTING somebody? Clearly, the hallucinations have begun. I am seeing things that aren't really there. Good thing I see my head doc on Tuesday.

4 comments:

Supermom said...

I've never heard of any of these establishments. I need to get out more, I guess.

I feel the same way about Mellow Mushroom. Just yesterday I was driving home about 4:45 and there wasn't a single car parked there. My husband and I always wonder how they stay in business.

Susan said...

I don't like Mellow Mushroom. Entirely too expensive for what you get. I don't know anybody that eats there, so I can't explain how they stay in business, either!

Supermom said...

Poor girl. You have to work today, too?

My husband has today off. GRRRR!!

Susan said...

"Work" is a strong term, but yes, I am in the office. And have to come in early on Tuesday for orientation. And not very pleased about either of those situations.