Thursday, August 30, 2007

Stupidity

I'm ashamed to admit this. Especially here, among people who share my love of good food and a joy of preparing a real meal for their families. But we're all friends here, and I know that I'll find support and love, despite my confession. Or, perhaps, laughter and bad jokes, but either way is fine.

So here it is. There is no food in my house. None. Hasn't been for a week. I crock potted a roast last Thursday. That was the last meal I cooked. Monday night, when Greg was sick, I did manage to prepare a BOX of mac and cheese. Yes, I said box, as in Kraft with powdered cheese. That was dinner. And no, I don't consider that food or cooking. Aside from that, every single meal we've eaten has been either at a restaurant or fast food, 3 meals a day. I am so sick of fast food I could scream. But, there is no food in the house. None. And since I've had such a crappy week (see previous post) and haven't been hungry anyway, I haven't had the nerve to face any type of retail establishment.

Tonight is Greg's bowling night, so I'm home alone. What do I do this evening? I whip out one of our Alton Brown DVD's and watch four straight episodes of Good Eats. Soups. CHEESE. CHOCOLATE. Grits. At this moment, I could eat off my arm. It's either that or a dog treat. Or face the grocery store.

Except I don't have time to face the grocery store, because I have to return the monster truck to the airport in about an hour. I think there might be remnants of stale generic brand rice crispy's left over from when I made treats for Greg's birthday a month or so ago...

7 comments:

Stacey said...

They have this awesome thing now where you call a pizza place and they bring a pizza RIGHT TO YOU. It's AWESOME.

Course, now it's midnight. Reckon you're probably not hungry anymore.

Supermom said...

A box of Mac & cheese does qualify as cooking in my book.

You boiled water, you mixed. Two or more cooking techniques in one dish qualifies as cooking.

We've had so much leftover from the HUGE crock pot of sausage/chicken/white bean Tuscan soup from Monday and the monster pan of baked spaghetti Tuesday that Wednesday and Thursday nights were leftovers.

Susan said...

Around here they bring a pizza right to you... at some point in the next hour and half, maybe two hours. I never get it delivered, if we get pizza we pick it up! (And no, I never did eat anything, and I'm about to go get breakfast at McDonalds! Sigh.)

I'm going to try the baked sketti this weekend, provided I actually see the inside of Kroger at some point soon. Figure with 3 days, off I have no excuse!

Supermom said...

My goal is to meal plan this weekend for next week. I never meal plan. I just cook something on the spur of the moment.

And turn on the old bread machine. I haven't used it in about 3 months.

I'll do my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart tomorrow at 6:30 a.m. I guess that means I need to meal plan today.

I don't want to be at work today!!!

Susan said...

I used to be great at meal plans. Really. Scout's honor. (Ok, I was a Brownie, Girl Scout, AND Boy Scout, but that's another post...) I'd plan, and make a list, and post it on the fridge, and cook 4 nights during the week and most meals on weekends. Then I got sick from meds for a couple of weeks and seem to have forgotten how.

Supermom said...

I never meal plan. I always have good intentions but never follow through.

Five bucks says I won't do it this week either.

Susan said...

I learned to be pretty flexible with it. I'd plan 3-4 meals and make a list, then plan to pick up a couple more meals worth of stuff when I saw what meat was on sale. Then when I came home in the evenings I could pick which of those meals I felt like cooking. I always tried to do a couple of easy ones and a couple of complex ones, and I usually got a couple of things Greg could cook for those nights when it just wasn't happening for me. That worked really well, as long as I got to Kroger on either Saturday or Sunday night. When I don't, it all goes to hell.