Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Ebay (the gnome, not the auction)

Some people were wondering what the deal is with the gnome in the first picture I posted of my mom. Ha. Those people weren't at my wedding.

The gnome was a wedding gift, from one of my dearest and most favoritest great-aunts. It originally was intended to be a yard ornament that held a little staff with windchimes. Uh huh.

By this point, due to the massive number of rather unusual wedding gifts I'd received, I found the gnome hysterically funny. We named him Ebay. As in, the defeater of Ebay. The one and only thing Greg and I owned that we wouldn't possibly be able to sell on Ebay.

So the gnome took up residence in my living room. It was made an honorary member of the wedding party. The photographer thought we had lost our minds, but played along, taking several pictures involving the gnome. My mother snuck up to the sanctuary of the church right before the wedding and put the gnome discretely among the ferns near the alter, so it would have a good seat during the ceremony. It went on the honeymoon with us, and we have pictures of him at the beach and inside the beach house. We even included him in a game of Monopoly, during which we had to gang up on him to win.

Now Ebay lives on the big display cabinet in my living room, with all the Disney snow globes and my Mr. Potato Head collection, overseeing all of the activity in the house. You can click here to see his photo album.

No comments: