Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Couch Ate My Cell Phone - Update

Well, not my phone. Greg's phone. Of all the times I think we need to hire a film crew and film our own reality TV...

Tonight is Greg's first league bowling night of the season. So he's walking out the door and realizes he doesn't have his phone. After a quick search, it's not in any of the usual 12 places it lives. So I grab my phone and call it. The couch starts ringing. Worse, actually. The couch starts playing Cheeseburger in Paradise, because that's my ring tone on his phone. So we start searching the couch. No phone.

Let me stop here and clarify something. We have the best couch ever. Very cushy, with dual recliners with the massager and a pull-down console in the middle. What? Heck no I didn't buy it! Somebody Greg knows bought new furniture and was willing to give it away to get it out of their house. I don't spend that kind of money on furniture!

Anyway, because we have this schmancy couch, the cushions don't come out and there are hiding places in the middle. So after several minutes of searching Greg was officially late, so I told him to take my phone and I'd keep searching for his. That was like 45 minutes ago. I still have not found the blasted phone. I HAVE found a couple of rubber bands, bottle tops, a sharpie, one sock, the Tivo remote that's been missing since before we got married, and enough dog hair to knit a whole new pup. But no phone. I have pulled out the couch, searched every nook I can get my arm in. No phone.

So now I'm sending it text messages from my email (because Greg took my phone so I have no way to call it!) and then quickly stuffing my head as far into the cushions as I can to listen for it to beep. I still can't find it. So far I've sent these messages:

Where are you Mr. Phone?
I can hear you, but I can't see you!
Did the couch eat you?
Bad couch!

Sigh. I've narrowed it down to one impossible to get to part of the middle section. HOW did the stupid thing get in there??? If it really is in there. It may just be broadcasting in there to throw me off the trail. Ok, so next I guess I try flipping the couch completely over. If I don't post for a few days, I'm probably in the hospital with a hernia or something.

Update:
3 hours, 6 calls and 17 text messages later, I finally juggled the couch around enough to shake the phone loose to a place where I could contort enough to grab it. Barely. How it got in there, I will never know.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Oh, you've reminded me of a story. Too long for a comment... I'll have to blog about it later.

Have you tried moving the couch? I know you're a wee little sprite but maybe it's actually chillin' under the couch by now what with all your digging and moving it down.

Good luck!

Susan said...

Oh, I've moved the couch. I've even lifted the couch and stuck my head under it to listen for the beep. It's too heavy for me to flip it over by myself, waiting for Greg to get home to help with that. I think it somehow got stuck inside the lining, which may require surgery!

Susan said...

And did I mention this is a work-supplied phone, so it's not even like we can just say forget it, we'll get a new one. If it was my ragged old phone I'd probably be thrilled with the excuse to replace it!

Supermom said...

I'm too embarrassed to tell you some of the things I've found in and under the couch. :-0

Susan said...

Thankfully this couch seems to only eat electronics. One of the chairs we had while I was growing up, however... yeah. Best not to go there either.