Friday, August 10, 2007

Argument for a Pool

My husband wants a swimming pool. He's pretty determined that our next house should have one. I'm not at all adverse to having a pool, I'm adverse to the energy and money required to maintain a pool. He doesn't want your small dollar store pool, he wants a big in-ground pool. None of this really matters since we're years away from buying another house, but every once in a while he'll drop the hint in subtle opportunities.

Last night, while watching the 3rd disk of Shark Week (I do love Netflix!), I was staring with my mouth open watching the huge manta rays as the divers swam with these huge, friendly, playful sea creatures that are basically harmless, social stingrays with a 20 ft wing span. Greg look over with a completely serious face and says, "You want one."

Me: "Well yeah. But they're HUGE."
Greg: "It wouldn't fit in the bathtub."
(sidenote - I have been known to want to own assorted water mammals and justify that they could live in the bathtub.)
Me: "They're bigger than tree of me."
Greg: "It wouldn't fit in three bathtubs."
Me: "No..."
Greg (completely serious): "We need a pool."

The bad part was that if we'd actually been seriously looking to buy a house, he might have convinced me on that one. And he knew it. So I'm sure he filed that away in his brain, and when we ARE looking at houses at some point down the road he'll drag it out.

"You know honey, if we get the one with the pool you might can get penguins..." or,
"Well, if we had the bigger pool there'd be room for a pygmy hippo like the one you like at the zoo..."

I'm doomed. We're so going to end up with a pool.

14 comments:

Stacey said...

I'd only get a pool if I could also afford a pool boy. No way would I maintain one of those suckers by myself.

Susan said...

That was my stipulation. We can get a pool so long as Greg takes care of all the maintaining and all I have to do is swim in it with my penguins!

CluckyRN said...

I refer to my might-as-well-be-husband-since-we-have-lived-together-for-over-five-years-man as "Sancho the Pool Boy."

For 41, he's still HOT.

~:>

Ummm, isn't a manta ray what killed the Crocodile Hunter???

Susan said...

I think that was a sting ray, which is smaller and has a barbed stinger. The mantas are big enough they don't need defense systems, they're bigger than most of the usual predators! With these, the divers were pulling on their tales and playing chase!

My husband is allergic to grass and dies in the heat. I see him keeping up a pool for about 3 minutes.

clstigger said...

If you get a pool I promise to come over more! = )

Susan said...

If we got a pool you could come over more but I'd be working 3 jobs and wouldn't be there to see you! Not that it would matter, as long as you had access to the pool!

CluckyRN said...

We joined to 'country club'here for the pool.(I know this has to go against everything Dave Ramsey says)but at 30 bucks a month, It would still take me YEARS to buy a pool. I don't have to clean it or pay the liability insurance either. i should put it in my taxes since my doc ordered exercise. That would be a nice write-off.

~:>

Susan said...

I used to be a member of the Y here in Clinton and they had a fabulous indoor/outdoor pool. That ended when I got married and we started paying off debt, now that everything but the house is paid, I know I wouldn't have time to go anyway. I barely have time to clean my house!

clstigger said...

Well, if you and Greg would step away from the Wii for a while you would have time to go to the Y.

Susan said...

Sadly, the Wii hasn't been on since we left Mom's house last weekend. And I was just thinking, can you imagine Casper's outrage if we moved somewhere with a pool? He'd die under constant threat of a bath!

Stacey said...

We should let our Miis mingle.

Susan said...

We should! Except I've never known anybody else with a Wii, so mine are kinda shy and don't mingle well. I'll have to get Greg to look at it and figure out how.

Stacey said...

I have to warn you. We have a Hiitler. And a Quagmiire (from The Family Guy). You think yours don't mingle well?

Susan said...

Ha. We have one Mingo, named after my flamingo collection, one for Casper, one in honor of a piece of furniture (Doug, the entertainment center), one for Ebay the Gnome... and one we can't let mingle because unless you know my inlaws' cat, it would sound really racist. I want a Borg, but can't figure out how to make it. They are all socially stunted, as they have never mingled, and can't be guaranteed to behave. But if I can find our ID number I'll send it to you and we'll let them try.